April 9, 2020
Download this customizable template to create your own Employee Health and Safety Handbook
- Policies, Procedures and Resources
ChecklistsUse the checklists for your business size to understand your health and safety requirements.
- Safety Checklist 1-5 employees
- Safety Checklist 6-19 employees
- Safety Checklist 20-49 employees
- Posting Requirements: What to Post 1-5 employees
- Posting Requirements: What to Post 6-19 employees
- Posting Requirements: What to Post 20-49 employees
PoliciesDownload these sample health and safety policies to customize and implement in your workplace.
- Health and Safety Policy
- Workplace Violence Policy
- Workplace Harassment Policy
- Workplace Impairment Policy
Training & OrientationTraining is an essential part of a health and safety program. It provides the knowledge and practice to prevent injuries and illness in the workplace. Check out the resources below…
- Mandatory Worker Awareness Training (Free)
- Mandatory Supervisor Awareness Training (Free)
- Employee Orientation and Training Checklist
- Employee Health and Safety Handbook
Work Together: Internal Responsibility SystemThe Occupational Health and Safety Act is built on the principal that workers and employers must work together to identify and resolve health and safety issues. If you regularly employ 6-19 employees then you are required to have a Worker Health and Safety Representative (HSR). The HSR helps to identify workplace hazards and makes recommendations to you, the employer. If you regularly employ 20 or more employees, if your organization has a designated substance to which a worker may be exposed, or if the MLTSD has issued an order to have a JHSC, then you are required to have a Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC). The JHSC helps to identify workplace hazards and recommends improvements to the employer.
Worker Health & Safety Representative
(This training is not mandatory but recommended)
Joint Health & Safety Committee
HazardsInformation to help you recognize and control hazards at and around the worksite. Use this information as part of your program development and orientation training program.
- Hazard Assessment Tool
- Hazard Assessment Tool Instructions
- Hazard Reporting Form 1-19 employees
- Hazard Reporting Form 20-49 employees
Mental Health1 in 5 Ontario workers will experience a mental health problem this year. ThinkMentalHealth.ca is a joint effort from Ontario Health and Safety System Partners to provide business owners with the resources needed to better understand and prevent mental health problems. Our goal is to help you, your staff, and your company stay healthy.
Safety Checks for WorkersUse our Landscaping Safety Checks to provide information to workers on how to work safely with specific hazards. Safety Checks can be used in orientation training, tailgate talks or even one-one coaching.
Landscape Ontario Workplace Safety Tailgate TalkDeveloped in collaboration with Landscape Ontario, this landscaping industry booklet is an educational resource that a supervisor can use to highlight key health and safety information. Click on the following link… Landscape Ontario Workplace Safety Tailgate Talk for the Landscaping Industry
Business Case for Safety – LandscapingLandscaping business case for safety
Small Business Advisory ServiceLooking for additional support? Learn about the WSPS free Small Business Advisory Service where we match a health and safety expert to your small business.
- We are launching a $15 Landscape eCourse on April 10 from our website www.wsps.ca
- Here is an online WHMIS course. It’s $15 and is one hour. https://www.wsps.ca/Shop/Training/E-Courses/WHMIS-2015-for-Workers-English.aspx
- Heat Stress eCourse It’s 30 mins and $20 IHSA https://ihsa.learnupon.com/store/675083-basics-of-heat-stress-in-construction
- Traffic Control, Backing Vehicles eCourse. It’s $35 and 60 mins. IHSA https://ihsa.learnupon.com/store/650838-traffic-control-backing-vehicles
- Basics of Hearing Protection eCourse is free. IHSA https://www.ihsa.ca/elearning/hearing-protection-for-workers/presentation_html5.html
- Distracted Driving eCourse is free. IHSA 1 hour https://www.ihsa.ca/elearning/distracted-driving/story.html
- Hogweed / Wild Parsnip Youtube 3 mins WorkSafeBC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ9P1preCGM&list=PLUyWkHwckhS6C35r6E8hy4j5Ty1vNp85K&index=46&t=0s
- Musculoskeletal Disorders MSD repetitive injuries, heavy load, awkward posture, vibration 10 mins NAPO https://www.napofilm.net/en/napos-films/napo-lighten-load
- Tractor Safety Awareness eCourse. It’s 20 mins and free https://www.wsps.ca/Shop/Training/E-Courses/Tractor-Safety-Awareness-(English)-(20-minutes).aspx
- Lockout/tagout - https://www.wsps.ca/WSPS/media/Site/Resources/Downloads/Agricultural-Safety-Topic-Lockout-Tagout.pdf?ext=.pdf
- Respirator fit testing - https://www.wsps.ca/WSPS/media/Site/Resources/Downloads/Agricultural-Safety-Topic-Respirator-Fit.pdf?ext=.pdf
- Back and safe lifting - https://www.wsps.ca/WSPS/media/Site/Resources/Downloads/Agricultural-Safety-Topic-Preventing-Lifting-Overexertion-Injuries.pdf?ext=.pdf
- Noise - https://www.wsps.ca/WSPS/media/Site/Resources/Downloads/Agricultural-Safety-Topic-Protecting-Against-Noise.pdf?ext=.pdf
- Skid steer - https://www.wsps.ca/WSPS/media/Site/Resources/Downloads/Agricultural-Safety-Topic-Skid-Steers-and-Loaders.pdf?ext=.pdf
Next StepsNow that you have covered many of the basic employer responsibilities, visit the WSPS Small Business Centre for more information and resources.
Questions?If you have additional questions contact our WSPS Duty Consultant for answers (877) 494-WSPS (9777) or email email@example.com