Trial Garden Open House 2017
See what's new in Milton and Guelph on August 17, 2017
The 2017 version of the University of Guelph/Landscape Ontario trial garden at the LO office in Milton is well under way. The date for this year’s open house is Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017. The program will start in the morning at the LO site and continue in the afternoon at the Guelph trial garden.
Morning Session: 9 a.m. to noon at the LO office in MiltonSpeaker Program:
- Opening Remarks.
- Mycorrhizal (Root Rescue) research results on herbaceous and woody plants (Bob Reeves, Root Rescue Environmental Products).
- “2018 Emerging Trends in the Landscape” - this will include new introductions, developments in sustainable landscaping, urban agriculture and wellness hotspots (Brenda Luckhardt, Sheridan Nurseries).
- Invasive plant discussion and presentation centered on front line experiences with Giant Hogweed. (Shawn Murdy, City of Guelph).
- Open discussion and ideas exchange.
- Presentation of OPA Canada 150 garden awards.
- Tour of LO trial garden.
- Over 164 different rose cultivars planted in 2016 and 2017.
- 18 different hydrangea cultivars and an assortment of other shrubs planted in 2016 and 2017.
- Over 300 different annuals and perennials in ground beds.
Afternoon Session: (1 p.m. to 3 p.m.) at the Guelph Turfgrass InstituteTour of Guelph Trial Garden
- All America Selections (AAS) judging trial.
- ASCFG field grown cutflower trial.
- Ground bed trial of approximately 400 annuals and perennials.
- Container trial of over 200 annuals.