March 19, 2020
Practical Suggestions For Dealing with the COVID-19 Issue
Legends Landscape Supply Inc. has reached out to a number of established Contractors to create a list of precautions that Landscape Companies can immediately put in place to protect their employees, customers and businesses. Here is what they came up with.
- If you have more than one crew, ask them to start at different times in order minimize contact (i.e. 15 to 30 min intervals depending on the size of your company).
- Do not leave your personal vehicle until other crews leave the yard.
- All employees must have their own personal equipment (i.e. weed eaters, movers, hand tools, etc.).
- Always use you own PPE.
- Landscape Companies send the foreman / forewoman to the site with equipment and materials, and have employees meet on the job site with personal vehicles.
- If renting equipment is necessary, wipe down all cab areas or handles with sanitary products.
- Limit all employees distance to 2 metres when dealing with the public (Condos should be informed by owners to email all complaints – no public contact).
- Use group chats (Google Meet, Zoom, Face Time, etc.) and conference calls to have company meetings and/or have individual start times to have meetings with staff.
- Mandatory hand washing on trucks or trailers. Provide jugs of water, hand soap, paper towels, and hand sanitizer for employees.
- If you have an office impose a "Locked Door" policy to public.
- Design from home when possible.
- All consultations should take place outdoors.
- Respect personal office space - 2 metres of personal space. Social distancing in common areas - 2 metres personal space.
- Suggest that crews do not overlap into other trucks (i.e. no mixing of crews on site or in trucks).
- Suggest 3-person crews where possible, so 2-person crews are available to work in case one employee is not available to work on any given day.
- Use one person to handle material when possible (i.e. rolling out geo-textile, personal bundle of bricks, etc.)
- Label all tools on crews with names, initials, or colour coded per individual.
- Enforce personal hygiene rule for blowing noses (use Kleenex, hand sanitizer and no spitting).
- Clean staff washrooms regularly and think of spraying down high touch areas by each member when leaving the washroom.
- If you stop at public washrooms, wash / sanitize your hands as well as use a truck washing station (suggested before and after entering public washroom).
- Have foreman / forewoman wipe down the truck before and after a shift.
- Suggest all personal lunches / coffee thermoses to limit any outside contact with Drive-through food and drinks.
- “Out of Country” – Mandatory self isolation for 14 days.
- Strict Garbage Policy - Nothing picked up by hand or gloves (use garbage pickers that can be sterilized).
- Contact companies that can have garbage bags left on site and not put into trucks where possible or have one crew deal with bags left on all sites daily.
- All personal garbage kept separate in vehicles and disposed by yourself at office.
These ideas were contributed by:
- Meadowbrook Landscaping - Andrew Barz
- The Gardener- Jim Edmonds
- Ciscon Landscaping Inc- Paul Cisterna
- Mountain Hill Landscaping- Tom Finucane
- Greentario- Carmine Filice
- KDP Landscaping- Keith Phillips
- Legends Landscape Supply Inc. - Russell Springer
COVID-19 RESOURCE HEADQUARTERS