October 13, 2022
LO Growers Group Newsletter - October 2022
1. COVID-19: Changes to Welcome Centre, Federal Entry RulesThe Welcome Centre at Pearson airport is shut down for the fall. OMAFRA is waiting to see if there is a need to re-open it for 2023 TFW arrivals. Federal restrictions on travel have also ended. Please refer to the government website for the latest information. The OMAFRA-led Sector Leadership Working Group will continue to meet every two weeks if there are new items to discuss. Note that there are still six Public Health Units with Section 22 orders in place.
2. Box Tree Moth trapsThe second flight season is over in Ontario. Please report any positive finds to Jeanine West by October 21, 2022, so the summary for CFIA/APHIS can be prepared. Store your Uni-Traps for 2023 but remember to keep BTM traps separate from any traps where lures for other pests have been used. Unused lures or tapes can be refrigerated (best in a glass jar) for use in 2023.
3. CNLA UpdatesProvided by Jamie Aalbers, Growers Sector Specialist
AgriMarketing Funding available
In our 2022/23 AgriMarketing project, CNLA is looking to partner with nursery grower members who conducted or will conduct the following activities in the U.S.
- Export development, trade shows and trade missions.
- Trade show development and participation in new trade visits/missions to group buyers in various American states.
Apply to CNLA for participation by Friday, October 21 by contacting Jamie Aalbers and cc: Nicole Xavier. All those who express interest (and those how have responded already) will receive details on how to apply on October 24. If you have questions, please contact Jamie via email or phone at 647-724-8630.