January 11, 2022
COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Temporary Foreign Workers
Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety (CCOHS) - Prevent the spread of COVID-19: Guidance for Temporary Foreign WorkersLEARN MORE
This free course is available in English, French and Spanish. To take the Spanish version of the course, select Spanish from the Language drop-down menu on either the English or French product page.
Este curso se ofrece en inglés, francés y español. Para la versión en español del curso, seleccione español en el menú desplegable de idioma en la página de productos en inglés o francés.
Agricultural operations include a wide range of situations, from harvesting produce in the field to animal husbandry. Every agricultural operation is a workplace, and every workplace has hazards. In addition to existing agricultural occupational hazards, facilities that employ temporary foreign workers (TFWs) must also consider how to manage the risk of COVID-19 spread in situations such as congregate housing and group transportation.
This five module course provides information to TFWs and their employers on how to protect themselves and others from COVID-19 at work. Participants will gain knowledge of the factors that significantly contribute to the introduction and spread of COVID-19 in the workplace, the control measures to take to protect themselves while working, living and traveling to and from work, and what to do if they become sick with COVID-19.
This course is highly interactive. Pop-ups, external links, review questions, and activities are used to apply learning throughout. There is a self-assessment quiz to test understanding of the material at the end of each module. Upon completion of the course learners will be able to print a certificate of completion.
- COVID-19: what it is and how it spreads, recognizing and screening for common symptoms, and when workers should isolate or quarantine
- Masks: when and how to safely use and care for non-medical masks
- Preventing the spread: physical distancing, good hygiene practices, cleaning and disinfecting, and ventilation
- Temporary foreign workers in agriculture: situations specific to on-the-farm TFWs including cohorts, congregate housing, and group transportation
- Occupational health and safety: legal rights and responsibilities, agricultural workplace hazards, personal protective equipment, and mental health resources
Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Recognize what causes the COVID-19 illness.
- Identify how the COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in the workplace.
- Recognize and screen for the common symptoms of COVID-19 illness.
- Recall what to do if you feel sick or have possibly been exposed to COVID-19.
- Recognize when and how to isolate or quarantine.
- Recall when and how to correctly wear a non-medical mask.
- Recall how to properly care for a non-medical mask.
- Identify and apply COVID-19 control measures in an agricultural workplace, including physical distancing, good hygiene practices, cleaning and disinfecting, and ventilation.
- Identify and apply COVID-19 control measures to protect TFWs who work in cohorts, live in congregate housing, and share transportation.
- Recall your worker rights and responsibilities.
- Recognize the employer responsibilities in keeping workers safe.
- Identify common agricultural occupational hazards.
- Identify personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Recognize where to obtain occupational health and safety (OHS) and mental health resources.